Friday, April 17, 2009

Potty training help please!


I need help from all you expericenced Moms! Emmy decided (on her own)a little while ago that she was done with diapers. She basically trained her self to go pee pee in the toilet. Horray for me! I thought this was going to be easy, but . . . I can't get her to poop in the toilet! She is doing great with pee, and even wakes up from naps and night time dry. I have tried eveything I can think of, bribery, coaxing, even letting her go naked. I can tell when she's going and she knows when she has to go, but when I catch her and try to get her to go to the toilet she cries! Yesterday I caught her and took her pants off and she cried asking me for a pull up. We did this while in the bathroom! I finally caved and put one on her and she pooped in it standing next to the toilet! I don't know what else to do and I am tired of cleaning poop off of panties! It's GROSS! I guess there is one silver lining though . . . at least she's not holding it for days! I apologize if this entry is a little gross, but I need help! Got any suggestions?

8 comments:

The Roberts Rollercoaster RIde said...

Make her sit in it. Don't clean it for awhile. It will gross her out. Plus, it's a power struggle. Try not to pay attention to her. Ignore the poop! Hard I know!

Lorraine said...

I had this problem with Lucille - and it was horrid because she popped 5 times a day.

Here's what I did. Get rid of all diapers and pull-ups. Tell her that you aren't buying more and then when they are gone - don't. Then, don't make a big deal out of it. Help her get cleaned up, and tell her it is wrong, remind her that it goes in the potty, and then in the end, let it be her decision.

I have strong willed children, and I finally decided after so much frustration to just not let it bother me, but insist she wears panties, and eventually she decided to do it on her own. We have been accident free at our hous now for a week!

I feel for you - I don't think anything has ever been more frustrating to me than potty training.

markandkelley said...

I'm in the same boat. Logan pees in the toilet but won't poop. (Except for that one time, and I'm convinced it was an accident.) I've been getting too uptight about it, and I think it gives him a bit of a power trip. So I've decided to just calm down and realize this is a short-term problem. Emmy will catch on... hopefully before you pull all your hair out.

Ashlie said...

Potty training rocks!

Ashlie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ditndetes said...

Not sure, my kids didn't do that. But I just wanna wish you good luck!

Michelle W. Nate said...

Every kid is so different it is hard to know what the best way is. I know that sometimes just by switching the way they sit helps. My oldest had no problem with potty training once he got over the fear of sitting on the potty. We turned him backwards so he straddled the potty while facing the lid. That worked. My second child was my hardest. He too would beg for diapers or pull ups. I had to not buy anymore and then he realized well, I guess I'm done with that. My baby girl was pretty close to the same thing. As long as we had them she wanted to wear them. She would wear panties all day until she needed to poop and then she would try to find a pull up. And bawl until she got it on or she would hide behind the couch or something trying to sneak it on. Once they were gone she was potty trained in a week. Good Luck!

Baylee said...

I agree that every kid is different. Baylee did the same thing, would hold it, til you could smell it radiating out of her! The minute I'd put a pull up on, she'd go, with no problems. At first, I got really frusterated but, after I relaxed and stopped making a big deal of it, she decided on her own to go! Letting her make the choice made a big difference! Good luck! :)